BDI Service Level Routing - Frequently Asked Questions
What will change about the order process?
Previously, to arrange shipping for orders on shop.boeing.com/aviation-supply/
(formerly Aviall), the customer was required to choose from over 800 individual route assignments for sales orders with various shipping requirements. This process does not guarantee the shipment will receive the appropriate service level and has resulted in poor quality defects including wrong route selection, shipment returns, order rework and cancellations.
Our business strategy and transportation team has configured our system to select the best fit carrier routes
to all domestic and international shipping scenarios in SAP. Customers will simply identify their service level
preference (Standard, Express, or Overnight) and our system will apply the matching route based on the sales
order origin, destination, weight group, and hazardous material indication.
Why are we making this change?
- To reduce order entry errors (incorrect routes) during the order creation process
- To simplify how transportation routes are assigned to customer orders by providing service levels that
match order attributes (origin, destination, weight, service level and hazmat requirement) and shipping preference
- Improve customer experience and order processing rate across the enterprise
- Ensure orders are assigned the most optimal, and cost effective routes
Who will be impacted by this change?
- This change will impact all customers who order products from Boeing Distribution Inc.
shop.boeing.com/aviation-supply (formerly Aviall).
What are the benefits?
- Simplified dot.com online ordering platform
- Match your carrier preferences with our 3 service level options on shop.boeing.com (Self Service)
- Improve customer experience (more streamline order processing)
- More accurate shipping service allocated to order requirements
Will I have a choice as to what carrier and service level?
You can choose from one of three service levels (standard, express, or overnight) applied to the order. BDI has applied world class, pre-selected carriers for each shipping preference. If you are a Collect customer, you will be instructed to create a Shipping Profile.
What are the service levels?
- Domestic: Delivery within the country, within 5-7 days
- International: Delivery typically in 5 to 10 business days
Door to Airport transit if shipping payment terms are Prepaid or Freight Invoiced.
- Domestic: Delivery within the the country, within 3-5 days
- International: Delivery typically in 3 to 7 business days
- Domestic: Delivery within the country, within 2-3 days
- International: Delivery typically in 3 to 5 business days
How to create a service level routing profile?
Collect customers will create and edit their shipping profile to determine which carrier, service and account # to apply to their sales order. If the customers want to change, add to, or delete any of their shipping preferences, follow the steps below:
View Shipping Profile: Log in to your customer’s account and click Shipping Preferences. You can now review which carrier, service, and account preferences are currently setup for your Ship-To. You can also select a warehouse from the dropdown to display preferences based on warehouse.
Additionally: if data attributes are missing they will be clearly indicated with messaging. We have also provided a link to the Domestic and International forms that can be submitted to make changes to your preferences.
Update & Edit: Click the link to use the form below to update and/or edit your existing shipping profile
Create & Add: Click the link to create a new shipping profile or add to an existing shipping profile.
- Form Instructions: Link
- Domestic Form:https://cloud.e.boeingservices.com/2021servicelevelshipping?formid=SLSDom
- International Form:https://cloud.e.boeingservices.com/2021servicelevelshipping?formid=SLSIntl
Tip: Use the domestic form to create/add to a ship-to profile when the BDI shipping plant located same region/country as the Ship-To location. Use the international form to create/add to a ship-to profile for export/import (i.e. shipping to a country outside of the shipping plant location)
Assign your carrier, service, and account # to our three categories (Standard, Express, Overnight)
Customers should match their carrier preferences to our service level selections. For example for Standard service level. Customers may assign a local courier as their carrier and service that most closely matches our service level description, delivery 1-5 business days.
What are the Weight Groups?
Weight groups distinguish customer orders’ shipping requirements by the weight and dimension. Orders
under 150lbs are accepted by our small package shipping service (via package truck, van, etc.). Orders over 150lbs require a less than full or full truck service (53’ van, etc.). This distinction will ensure the order receives the correct amount of capacity, equipment, and service.
What is Hazmat Capable?
Our products may contain hazardous materials that are capable of posing a risk to health and safety when in transport. Please provide indication in the carrier preference form if your carrier is licensed to handle hazardous materials in compliance with state and federal material regulations. Our route determination will assign your hazmat capable carrier to the order if it contains hazardous materials.
For international shipments, customers have three shipping options. Customers are encouraged to apply their shipping preference on the carrier preference form for international shipping.
- For Collect customers, incoterms are EXW. The order is made available for pickup at the plant location where order is fullfilled. The customer’s carrier is responsible for the freight once it leaves our location via EXW incoterms. Boeing Distribution will package the order for international travel (air or sea) provide the commercial invoice, packing list, MSDS, 8130 cert and one dangerous goods declaration for the first leg of travel. Customer’s carrier or freight forwarder is responsible for export, filing the AES and any further repackaging required.
- For Prepaid/Freight Invoiced customers , incoterms are BDI will ship your order to the origin carrier or freight forwarder location. The customer’s carrier is responsible for the freight once it is dropped off at the location via FCA incoterms. Boeing Distribution will package the order for international travel (air or sea) provide the commercial invoice, packing list, MSDS, 8130 cert and one dangerous goods declaration for the first leg of travel. Customer’s carrier or freight forwarder is responsible for export, filing the AES and any further repackaging required.
- For Prepaid/Freight Invoiced customers , incoterms are BDI will ship your order to the destination port (sea or air). The customer’s carrier is responsible for the freight once it is dropped off at the destination port via DAP incoterms. Boeing Distribution will export the order and provide the commercial invoice, packing list, MSDS, 8130 cert and one dangerous goods declaration for the first & second leg of travel. Customer’s carrier, freight forwarder, and/or broker is responsible for importation and final delivery.
One Time Ship-To
If you have an order with a One-Time Ship-To address, coordinate with your sales contact who will process your order manually. To ensure accurate route selections, our customers will directly manage their route preferences and ship-to addresses including street, city, postal code, and billing account # in a Self-Service portal which is under development and expected to release later this year.
What if the order does not process completely?
Please advise our CSR team if you are unable to process your order, and we will check to ensure your routing preferences are configured correctly in our system. See How do I create and update my shipping preferences
Does this affect me qualifying for free freight?
This will not impact customer order qualifications for free freight.
How are the freight costs determined on my invoice?
The freight charge will be determined by the origin, destination, weight, level of service (standard, express, overnight), and if any hazmat specifications are required. Dimensional weight is applied if it exceeds the actual package weight. Dim weight will be calculated by multiplying length, width, and height of each package in inches and dividing the total by 139.
Standard offers the most economical level of service, Express and Overnight are premium freight services for priority shipping. Freight, fuel surcharge, and accessorial fees, including any potential hazmat, additional handling, or peak surcharge fees, are all included in total invoiced cost.
If you have any further questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond as best as possible. Thank you for shopping with Boeing Distribution, Inc.